Lytham Cottage Hospital

lythamcottagehospital

Lytham Cottage Hospital was built by the Cliftons in the time of John Talbot and Lady Eleanor Cecily in 1871, the inspiration of the local doctor, Luke Fisher, a close friend of Henry Clifton their son.

The Cliftons did not however pay to run the hospital and it was funded by donations, such as annual subscriptions from local wealthy residents, collections in local churches, collecting boxes in the town, weekly payments of 1d from each shipyard worker who were frequent patients, and from 1896, by the annual Hospital Fête held in the grounds.

In the 1920s, the original building was much enlarged, and in 1947 it came under the control of the National Health Service. It was demolished in 2007 to make way for the Primary Care Centre, housing local GPs and other NHS services.