Churches and Chapels

stcuthbert3

St Cuthbert’s Church of England Parish Church on Church Road is the third church of this name to be built on the site since the founding of the Parish during the 12th century. It was built in 1834, at a cost of £1,600.

St Peter’s Roman Catholic Church, at the junction of Clifton Street and Station Road, was built in 1839. Prior to this, Roman Catholics had to worship at Lytham Hall in a little chapel too small for so great a congregation. The church was altered to create a centre aisle in addition to the winged aisles.

St John’s Parish Church on East Beach, facing the windmill, was built in 1849. It has been for many years the Lifeboat men’s church. The vicar of St John’s is Chaplain to the crew.

The Congregational Church, on Bannister Street, opposite Lytham Police Station, was built in 1852. It was known as the United Reformed Church until it was closed in 2014.

The Methodist Chapel, in Park Street, was built in 1868 to replace the much smaller chapel in Bath Street, behind the Queen’s Hotel. When first erected it was known as the Wesleyan Chapel